Concert honors Nabors, African American History, the arts

The annual African Americans in the Arts concert has become a ULM tradition and is one of the events organized to celebrate Black History Month. The works of art presented and performed in the concert are by African Americans.

The concert was presented by ULM’s Visual and Performing Arts department and was held on Thursday in the Emy-Lou Biedenharn Recital Hall.

Many people and organizations were involved in this year’s production.

The ULM Dance Repertory Ensemble and live cellist, Mark McCleery, opened the show with “Basso Profundo”, a modern dance choreographed by Tina Mullone, to Suite No. 1 in G Major composed by Johann Sebastian Bach. The piece was dedicated to the late Louis A. Nabors, Jr., music professor and close friend of Mullone.

Stormie Jones, a senior communications major and dance minor, said she enjoyed her experience performing.

“This dance was significant because it was dedicated to Louis Nabors, a man who cherished and emerged himself in the African American Arts. It was an honor to perform in his regard.”

This year’s featured artists were Adavion Wayne, Natorshau Davis, Brenda Wimberly, the ULM Interdenominational Ensemble directed by Lawrence Smith, the ULM Dance Repertory Ensemble with choreography by Tina Mullone, and Mark McCleery. Other significant persons involved in this production include Dr. Wayne Brumfield and Dr. Mark Clark.

Each performance showcased diverse talents of ULM and the community.

Orlandzeo Hennings, a junior music major, said he enjoys singing with the Interdenominational Ensemble because it’s not just comprised of talented people. Hennings also says the members are nice, so they have fun.

“It’s a positive outlet for students versus them partying, going out and doing drugs or something of that nature. It’s also something to take your mind off class, stress, anything,” Hennings said.

Adavion Wayne of Shreveport, LA, was raised with a musical background. Wayne was a musician and minister of music for his home church from eighth grade through his senior year of college.

Wayne attended ULM as a music education major. Wayne has two original works premiered by the Louisiana Lyric Opera Company, written for artists and has an ensemble- Wayne & Company. He also has an upcoming debut release of music and DVD for this spring.