Communication key to avoiding issues with roommate, suitemates

It happens to everyone once in a while. Once a person starts living away from home for the first time, they sometimes forget that they’re not at home. That is when certain issues could arise and cause problems.

Based on previous conversations, one problem many students have with their suitemates is the bathroom schedule. However, this major problem is not inevitable.

Abby Barton, a sophomore history major and Ouachita Hall RA, says communication is the key to easily avoiding this issue.

“Communication is necessary to live with another person,” said Barton. “In the beginning, both of you should set expectations for your room together, and evenly split cleaning duties. If your roommate does something that bothers you, tell them how you feel in a civil way.

Another issue many students face is cleanliness, or more specifically, lack thereof.

Amber Wallace, a junior nursing major, says cleanliness is a priority.

“Cleanliness, that is the number one thing,” said Wallace. “You have to be cleaner than you normally are. You have to be more considerate of other people. You don’t live alone. Even if you have a private room, you have a suitemate that you share your bathroom with…you almost need to respect the other person more than you respect yourself, putting their wants above your own.

Leslie Brown, a sophomore English major from Masur Hall, reported multiple incidents of intentional inappropriate behavior from her suitemates, including destruction of student property in the bathroom and playing loud music throughout the night.

“Most of the time, you and your roommate can find a way to compromise on an issue without needing an RA to get involved. As RAs, it is our job to ensure that your living environment is healthy, safe, and positive. We serve as resources to our residents and are happy to help them in any way that we can,” Barton said.

These reported incidents are not just poor dorm room etiquette, but they are a direct violation of the ULM residency policy. If conduct like this should occur, students should report it immediately to the RA.

In these extreme cases, students should not try to resolve the problems themselves.

But with sCommmaller issues, communicating with the suitemates may be the only action necessary.