Stars backstage and behind bars

If you’ve paid any attention to social media and tabloids lately, names like Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber are the topic of every major headline. DUIs and nudity is a daily problem for these young celebrities.

But, child stars making terrible choices isn’t a new concept. Let’s not forget about Drew Barrymore, Full House’s Jodie Sweetin and the always crazy Home Alone star, Macaulay Culkin. Being in the spotlight from a young age plays a major role in the lives of not only these stars, but today’s rising talent.

Kristen Newman, freshman business major, believes these young stars are trying to prove themselves to the world and lose control under the pressure.

“Trying to convey the perfect image can often times be too much to handle, so they act out and turn to bad things such as drugs to cope with what they’re going through,” Newman said.

Many of these celebrities are allowed to break the law and rarely face consequence. Stars like Lindsay Lohan find themselves in the courtroom time and time again.

Taylor Stokes, a sophomore business management major, says celebrities still have to face consequences just like everyone else.

“Everyone should be held accountable for their actions, regardless of their last name or how much money they have,” said Stokes. “If anything, the justice system should make an example of stars by adhering to their strict philosophy of ‘equality and justice for all.’”

Though each young celebrity grows to make their own choices, their upbringing plays a large part in the things they do. It’s up to parents to decide if fame is worth the risk of exposing their children to the pressures of the public.

“I would let my child step out into the spotlight because I would want them to follow their dreams, whatever they may be,” said Newman. “If you bring up your child in the right way and show examples of what can happen if you follow the wrong path, then most likely they will choose to go in a more positive direction. I wouldn’t want to hold them back from anything.”

Whether young stars are high as a kite, hugging the bottle or getting naked, the pressures of standing under the public microscope is harder for some to handle than others. Still, celebrities should be no exception to the justice system.