New York fashion warms up the runway

Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week kicked off on Feb. 6 and went on through Friday featuring the fall and winter clothing from some of New York’s biggest names in fashion.

Marc Jacobs is definitely something to talk about and it’s not because of Kendall Jenner’s nipples. The fact that an 18-year-old model (and I used that term loosely for her) wore a sheer top on a runway isn’t a controversy. It’s just what happens in fashion. It’s a body, so get over it.

What I can’t get over is the On Cloud 9 set design for the runway. The room full of clouds created an intriguing atmosphere. The models were even better. Their similar hairstyles, nude makeup and bleached eyebrows matched the haunting style of the show and the sleek style of the clothes.

Making the models look similar, and bare, takes away their identity. And while that may sound awful, it’s a good thing because that means the clothes may get all of the attention they deserve.

One thing I find interesting about fashion shows is the people who don’t watch for the fashion. They watch for the models. They only want to see their favorite model strut down the runway or their least favorite model hopefully fall down the runway. While models are fun to look at, they aren’t meant to be the focus of the show.

Other designers who assimilated their models were Michael Kors and Carolina Herrera.

The female models for Michael Kors sported the same wispy up-do that complimented the sleek, minimal theme of the collection.

One of my favorite things about the fall and winter time of the year is how fun the clothing to work with. So when the first models came out I was already in love.

Michael Kors fall/winter 2014 line features long coats and big scarves that you could drown yourself in.  But whenever there was large and fuzzy, there was also sleek and sheer. With Michael Kors, you can stay warm with a shin length coat and then impress with a see-through dress.

His line also featured typical wintery colors such as black, brown and gray. But there was an occasional white dress or top thrown into the mix, often paired with a black skirt or blazer.

Carolina Herrera, whose models wore either the same big bun or cylindrical hat, started off with the same colors and dresses with similar patterns. But as the show went on the clothes began to appear flashier and there were even a few bright red pieces.

Although some of the jeweled dresses looked a bit tacky, the overall design of the line looked very comfortable and minimal. Many outfits featured the same pattern for the people who would rather wear it on a dress than a coat.

Many of the lines seemed to aim for comfort and simplicity, which is always nice to see. The fashion world can seem like a joke sometimes. There is always going to be a few lines that look so outrageous that you can’t possible wear any of those “clothes.”

But fashion is an art and runways are shows. Not everything a model comes out with on their body is meant to be worn casually or even at all. Sometimes a designer just wants to show people their vision, such as going to a museum.

Though sometimes it is just that weird, such as the Creatures of the Wind show. The models began coming out in what looked like bathrobes or something my grandmother would wear to bed. I thought that was the intention, but the other outfits said otherwise.

Anna Sui featured flashy and bold patterns. The outfits looked like they should be viewed exclusively under strobe lights. But the show was captivating and each model looked unique.

A top favorite of mine were J. Mendel’s long, wispy dresses. Sheer material seemed to be a trend this time around and Mendel did it elegantly.

Tommy Hilfiger’s clothing still looks like they belong on children.