Performers string up week with music festival

Lights shined on guitarist Cain Budds as his fingers changed speed on the strings in a song reflecting the journey of two lovers.

According to Budds, the piece, “La huida de los amantes por el Valle de los ecos” or “The flight of the lovers through the Valley of echoes,” was an Afro-Cuban selection by prominent twentieth-century composer Leo Brouwer.

This song was a sample of the cultural pieces performed by numerous guest artists.

Thursday night’s performance with Cain Budds and Clifford Hines was one of several in the past week’s 2014 ULM Guitar Festival.

The annual festival began in 2011. The event is free and open to the public. Individuals with no prior guitar experience are invited to participate with provided guitars and instruction.

The concert not only allows students and community members to watch each night’s performances,

but it also gives guitar students lessons from the professionals in their field.

The event serves as a teaching experience for professional guitarists to guitar students. It provides them with “invaluable advice to help with careers,” according to professor Dan Sumner.

Guest artists also give feedback to students on their performances.

“These artists reinforce what professors have been telling them in class,” Sumner said.

Afterwards, the students can use techniques and advice from the guest artists.  Students relate to these guests in that they also want to be professional guitarists.  The professional artists offer insight on the process of moving up in the industry.

“These guitar players are professionals and that’s what I want to do in life.  It intrigues me.  I get to work and play this week,” Joshua Love, a senior music major in guitar performance, said.

The festival also welcomes prospective students to ULM by showing them a part of ULM’s music program.

Though the event is held each year, the variety of artists allows students to expand on their knowledge, techniques and experiences.

Friday’s concert featured master guitarist Stan Smith and ULM guitar professor Dan Sumner.  Saturday ended the festival with the debut of the acoustic duo of B.G. McPike and Solly Burton.

Tuesday and Wednesday nights’ performances with the Louisiana Community Guitar Orchestra and ULM guitar majors and the ULM Guitar Ensemble were canceled due to the icy weather and will be rescheduled and announced soon.