Hawkeye P.O.V.: Breaks are no excuse for bad choices

Parades, grenades, beaches and babes. Get out your bikinis and throw textbooks to the wind.

With Mardi Gras and spring break coming so close together, it’s easy to lighten up and forget to reign the party animal back in when it all comes to an end.

Though it’s tempting for students to forget about tests and final papers, being on break isn’t an excuse for loose morals and life changing bad decisions.

Shockingly, there is such a thing as partying too hard and going too far. Especially when you have to go back to school and work afterwards.

It’s ok to have a drink…or five or six. It’s not ok to drink so much that you wake up naked on the beach, cuddling a beached whale.

It’s even ok to make friends, but try not to get too close to strange men in alleyways. They have terrible things in their pockets that you really don’t want.

As annoying as it is to be reminded that you’re ultimately here for an education, it’s true.

Your future comes first and every decision, even the ones that seem harmless, can impact it. Be careful where you go and who you’re with because nothing is truly a secret.

But, more than anything, it’s your safety that’s at risk when you don’t listen to the little voice in the back of your head that tells you to slow down or walk away. There’s nothing that ruins a vacation faster than tragedy.

Have a wild good time, but make smart choices and don’t get crazy. Your brain cells, safety and GPA are counting on it.

Plus, what happens in Vegas doesn’t always stay in Vegas, and there are some things your mother just doesn’t need to see.