Technology made easy for Generation X

It is well known how much technology has advanced over the past few decades. Generation X saw the development of the cell phone computers and wireless house phones. Generation Y, however, has grown up with these devices in the home.

Many would agree that technology has made the world a more convenient place to live, allowing the world to communicate and accomplish tasks faster than ever. But, have these technological advances hindered this generation from really living?

The world has gone from pulling a cell phone out of a bag, to answering the phone with a watch.

Not so long ago, class registration and quizzes were done in person with actual paper. Today, students use the Internet for homework assignments and tests.

Lacy Palermo, junior toxicology major, says technology comes as an advantage to students.

“Technology is very convenient because it gives you all the information you could possibly want at your fingertips which, as students, is great for us,” Palermo said. “I feel like we spend so much time staring at our smartphones and laptops that we don’t know how to properly communicate without them anymore.”

Kelsi Sullivan, sophomore pre-pharmacy major, says people lack patience because they have become so spoiled to having high-speed internet.

“I believe that electronics have made people more impatient.” said Sullivan. “With high-speed internet and smartphones, we get information and satisfaction instantly, so we get frustrated when we can’t get other things right then.”

Although communication through technology cannot replace face-to-face interaction, it has benefited society in numerous ways.

Not only does the Internet connect businesses around the world, but it connects people on a personal level as well.

McKenzie Reech, sophomore social work major, says technology can be beneficial when networking.

“While there are numerous downsides to technology, I love how it brings us closer together! Especially in times of need, technology helps us provide support for people we will never meet,” said.

Technology use in this day and age is inevitable. There are few career choices that do not require the use of a computer.

Technology doesn’t have to cripple the world. The choices individuals make in how the use it could change that. With the world becoming more and more technological, especially in school and universities, is there still a choice?