Singing contest with a twist

A crowd of nearly 100 gave a standing ovation to the musical competition that took place in Biedenharn Theatre Feb. 27. Some audience members laughed, smiled and sighed as the musical went on. The participates kept the audience entertained the best way they knew how- by singing and dancing.

“So You Think You Can…. Sing” is an adaptation of “So You Think You can Dance”, a dance competition show. All of the acts were some form of opera or from a musical.

The first act was Audrey Du Lote, a soprano. She sang “Je Viex Vivre” from Romeo and Juliet. She left the stage with loud applause from the audience.

Next was Nathanial Medlin, who sang “Nothing” from Margaret Garner opera. The act was well received by the audience and the performer went on to his next role as a slam artist.

All performances were critiqued and judged. The competition was not an ordinary contest. Some competitions were a group effort.

Allison Friloux, a senior vocal music education major, said she like the uniqueness of the contest. Friloux was also apart of the contest.

“I liked it because it was different from normal and I think it was more entertaining to the audience this way,” Friloux said.

Medlin partnered Christina Soileau who sang “If I Loved You from Carousel.”

Benjamin Thomas sang “Hat man nicht das Gold”  and his performance won him the “Perky Face” award.

Liz Neuberger, a sophomore instrumental music education major, said she not only was blown away by the performances, but she also said she left the performance proud.

“It was legit! Everyone sang like angels and were amazing. I’m so proud of all my colleagues,” said Neuberger. “It’s amazing to see how much they’ve grown since even the beginning of the semester.”

He then went on to partner with Allison Hall in  “O mio babbino caro” from the opera Fidelio where she plays a whiney Italian child. That was also the award she received.

The next few acts were brief and featured awards just as unusual and hilarious as the others.

Allison Frilox and Julian Jones sung the moving song “Come to Jesus”. They received the award for “Best Duet.” The reason it was moving wasn’t because of the song, it was because of the situation. The situation being played out was that of a mother having a miscarriage.

The judges for this event used comedy to entertain the audience. When introducing the performances. They received plaques as tokens.

[nggallery id=37]