Sister explains what it means to be feminist

Sister Kathleen Cain believes in people and their power to change the world. As a feminist, Cain wants women to help other women change the world.

Last Tuesday, Cain gave a speech with a presentation featuring notable women like Oprah Winfrey and Helen Keller to spread awareness about women in history.

“I would categorize myself as a feminist in the good sense. To be feminine you have to be true to your feminine self. It’s not out there rebel rousing, that could be a part of it but it’s going out and standing up for your own convections,” said Cain. “I am a feminist. We need to be about helping people be in a better place than where they are.”

Cain said the worst thing women do is not help other women.

“One of the hardest things for women is that they compete against themselves. We need to learn to work as a team, not as a competition,” Cain said.

Cain believes that if women help other women, then there is nothing they cannot do. But the fight for equality is ongoing.

“There is not equality. There is not equality in pay, there is not equality in professions as far as advancement. It’s not there,” said Cain. “But saying that, there are more women in places where they can influence things so it is moving much faster.”

Lacy Falke, a junior medical laboratory science major, said Cain’s speech helped her focus on her goals as a woman.

After Falke’s major was cut, she wasn’t sure if she wanted to finish her college career with it. She was discouraged. But Cain’s speech inspired her to continue and go on to get her master’s.

Cain works for St. Francis Medical Center in downtown Monroe.

[nggallery id=43]