Hawkeye P.O.V.: New voters uninformed at polls voters uninformed at polls

Voting is a pretty big deal. We may wake up, get our mothers to make us breakfast and ask daddy for money, but the moment we walk up to the polls, we feel like real adults.

Sure, voting is fun and also our right as Americans, but do we really know what we are voting for?

Do we know the policies and intentions behind all the names and parties?

With social media and television playing such a large role in day-to-day life, young voters have become very easy to influence. If a celebrity says the right thing or a candidate has a certain name, we’re hooked.

In our defense, partial truths and misinformation are hard to point out. There can be one rumor circulating one minute and another going viral the next.

But, if we find more reliable sources to count on and realize we don’t have to vote for the popular candidate, maybe the country will have more faith in this generation at the polls.

As boring and depressing as politics may be, it’s our responsibility to pay attention to the details.

Concentrating on the main policies and forgetting about researching the ones that seem minor or don’t affect us yet can lead to making the wrong choices.

The laws and policies that go into effect now are the ones we have to live with. They will govern our work and personal life. They’ll determine where we live, where we work, what we can buy and what rights we have.

Pay attention, don’t let people influence you and drop your biases. It’s more true now than ever now that the country is in our hands.

Though your one uninformed vote may not seem like it will make a difference, yours plus thousands of others will.