Jazzy tunes at Brass Ensemble concert

A  Low Brass Ensemble concert was presented by the ULM School of Visual and Performing Arts Department of Music in the Emy-Lou Biedenharn Recital Hall on Thursday.

This show began with an introduction from the conductor, James Layfield. The concert then proceeded with ULM Trombone Ensemble playing three pieces: “Now is the Month of Maying,” “In Memoriam,” and “I’ve Got Rhythm.”

Sharmonds Pea, sophomore kinesiology major, said he was impressed for his first time attending a concert like this and also said he would not mind coming out to watch another one.

“The last piece by the trombone ensemble was the most interesting piece to me because it reminded me of jazz music,” Pea said.

Like Pea, many students, parents, faculty and others came out to behold this musical production. A wide variety of audience members enjoyed the show and showed their support for this style of music.

After the Trombone Ensemble finished their performance, the crowd waited with anticipation for the next set, then applauded loudly as the next group of musicians entered onto the stage with their shiny gold instruments.

The second half of the show was performed by the ULM Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble. They played two pieces by composer John Stephens.

The first selection, “Adagio,” was slow and smooth, as its name implies. It had a mysterious yet serene quality that made you feel like you were away from the world.

Avery Dace, a freshman music education major, was one of the euphonium players. Dace said she enjoyed performing with the her fellow musicians.

“It was fun to be in an ensemble with talented musicians and showcasing our hard work. My favorite piece was “Adagio” because it is a very lyrical piece that sounds great and is very moving,” Dace said.

The final piece of the night, “Five Dances” was divided into five segments. Some were fast-paced and others were more gradual but they all lived up to their name because each song had a rhythm that could be danced to.