Professor shows off flute soloist talents at performance

The crowd was blown away as students showed their musical talent at flute soloist night on Monday.

Students from the Department of music played a variety of classical pieces: Sonata, Adagio non troppo, Acht Stucke, Seraglio, Erev Shalom, and Andante and Rondo.

Jeffrey Mitchell, a sophomore English major said he enjoyed the performance. Mitchell also plays the flute.

Sandra Lunte, associate professor of music, said the event is held to “show off my students.”

“I have students from all walks of life and many of them are not music majors,” Lunte said.

Lunte said that although many of her students are not music majors, they still take lessons, practic, and study so they can have the chance to perform.

Lunte said they do this once every semester and that only her students and those who take lessons with her can participate.

However, the school and the public are welcome to come and watch for free.

Mark Alba, a sophomore music education major, said she liked every small detail in the performance.

“I liked the technicality of the pieces that were played,” Alba said.

Students must begin taking lessons from Lunte if they want to participate in the future.

They will choose a piece at the beginning of the semester, work on it and prepare for performance.

Lunte said the department also has a flute choir that performs a full concert once every semester.

Victoria Totman, a sophomore pre-pharmacy major, played her flute at the event and said the experience was “exhilarating.”

Totman said she started playing the flute in the sixth grade and thought it was the prettiest of all the instruments.

She encourages other students who are eager to perform to “keep on practicing” and to start playing for family and friends.

She also recommends recording yourself so that you can hear what you need to work on.