Louisiana students protest budget cuts

The latest announcements on budget cuts have earned strong reactions from some local universities.

Universities have been letting go of teachers, raising tuition and eliminating entire departments to make up for the $280 million decrease in funding that they have already been delt. More will come as schools prepare to lose a total of 35 percent of funding with the end of the stimulus package in the 2011 fiscal year.

Fortunately, ULM has managed to avoid the brunt of the cuts until now.

“If the cuts continue, sooner or later the students will see drastic changes across our campus,” said SGA president Brook Sebren, a senior entrepreneurship major from Rayville.

While, many are concerned about how recently selected President Nick Bruno will handle the cuts, the reality is that “no matter who the president would have been, a difficult decision would have to be made,” said Carl Kogut, an economics professor.

Steward McCulloch, a junior music education major from New Orleans, transferred from University of New Orleans when he heard that the music education program was closing and could no longer accept new students.

“I have heard that art related departments are often the first to go. I would like to graduate from this school, but I wouldn’t hesitate to transfer if my program was in jeopardy,” said McCulloch.

For some schools, the budget cuts have reached the threshold, and students are making their opinions clear to legislators.
Louisiana State University hosted a jazz festival shortly after the announcement, at which students and faculty from universities in the area gathered for a “funeral of higher education.”

The festival is just a prelude to the march on the capital planned for November 10, being led by UNO. Universities from around the state plan to join in. ULM will not be left out.

“There are several rallies at the capitol and multiple other events scheduled from now until the start of the legislative session. We will plan to represent ULM at every event,” said Sebren.