Hawkeye P.O.V.: Campus fixes important to students

Things are constantly happening behind the curtains on campus. There are functions and fixes occuring so quickly and efficiently that students are able to go about their day without even noticing anything was wrong at all.

That kind of efficiency is hard to achieve and is key to making ULM run smoothly. But, what about the big fixes happening that students can’t see yet?

If we’re going to buy things with tuition, fees or even referendum money, we want to know what we’re spending our money on.

It’s like when people pay taxes. We can’t really get out of them, and we need to have those funds, but we like to know where tax money is going.

Students can’t be expected to just come and ask about what’s happening around campus if we aren’t sure what to even ask about.

It’s ULM’s responsibility to be forthcoming with information, no matter how minor it may seem. For students, if we can’t see the change happening, it may as well not be happening at all.

If there are major changes happening in Sandel hall, we’d like to know. If Masur is undergoing renovations, we would like to see them. If there’s even a small hope of us getting more parking, we’d be excited to hear about it.

It’s not that the university is hiding the information, they may just not think we actually care about minor things. And, honestly, most people dont. But, there are many of us that do.

For those of us who do care about the details, leaving the lights off in Sandel and expecting us to assume something is going on inside isn’t enough.