Clean up dorm manners to avoid confrontation

After a long and relaxing summer, we finally moved back into the familiar dorms of ULM. For some of us, it may have been the first time dealing with the excitement and chaos of moving.

Already leaving behind many of the comforts that home has to offer, such as free washed and folded laundry, a well-stocked kitchen pantry and a full-sized bed in a room all to yourself, the last thing anyone wants is for something to wreck the move in process.

Imagine you are hauling your luggage up the stairs and unlocking your new dorm room, only to find ants have invaded your desk and dresser drawers. A similar situation happened to my previous roommate. 

Could this unfortunate circumstance be avoided?

There are many ups and downs when it comes to living away from home. On one hand, there’s the freedom to make your own choices, such as what to eat, when to sleep and how to manage your time.

On the other hand, no one is there to make sure all of your cookie or popcorn crumbs are swept clean. No one is there to scrub the mildew and soap scum from the shower head. 

No one is there to do the dirty work except you and possibly your roommate or suitemates. 

Some people like to blame the living conditions on poor maintenance, but a lot of the responsibility falls on residents. 

Sometimes it’s easy to forget to be considerate of others when you’re unaccustomed to sharing a place with people other than your parents or siblings. 

One way to make life on campus more pleasant is to put others first. 

Take out the trash before it sours, get some Pine-Sol, sweep up the grime, and don’t leave the dirty dishes lying on the counter. 

All of these are simple solutions that would help make the transition from life at home to life as a ULM resident much easier. 

Communication between roommates about cleaning schedules and duties will also help solve  and avoid conflict.

Before trying to rip your roommate’s hair out, you should talk it out first. 

People are only human, after all, and sometimes humans make mistakes. 

At the start of the term, students and their roommates should openly discuss and work out the best living arrangements possible. 

Find a way to compromise on desk and storage space. Follow the “Golden Rule,” if you will, to ensure that no conflict comes up that would cause a frustrating and insecure living environment. 

College life can be stressful enough without added pressure between roommates. 

When a situation is out of a student’s hands, he or she should take it up with the RA, but in a reasonable and adult fashion. 

In other words, don’t make a shouting scene; calmly address the issue.

The conflict may be solved more easily without the drama. 

Also, residents should remember that complaining about a problem won’t solve it any faster. 

When it comes to the living conditions in a dorm, perhaps being responsible, grabbing a broom and taking the course of action that would resolve the issue is all it takes.