Greek members open up about christianity

Greek Life has a history of being referred to everything other than what they stand for. Two fraternity members say it’s time for a change.

Larrese Rollins and Donald McNeal talked to students Tuesday in a discussion forum called, “I’m Frat and I’m Saved.” It focused on the misjudgments people have about Greek Life and its members. 

Their inspiration for this event came from the opposition they both face from being Christians who are involved in fraternities. They spoke openly to students about their own journey.

Rollins, a member of Alpha Phi Alpha, said he made many mistakes as he began Greek Life.

“Coming into Greek Life, my life contradicted the standards of living as a Christian,” said Rollins.

Rollins holds himself responsible for his behavior, but said all Greek organizations as a whole should not be held accountable for the misconduct of its members.  

“It wasn’t the organization that was a problem, it was my behavior and poor misrepresentation of the organization,” Rollins said. 

He said blame should be placed on the individuals rather than the organization itself. 

While Greek organizations have been labeled as people who only have sex and party, the organization was founded on “scholastic principles and making the community better.”

Rollins said he understands that the founder’s of his organization may not have been Christians, but said the principles it was founded on have still been misrepresented. 

McNeal, a member of Omega Psi Phi, agrees with Rollins. 

The common misconception is that joining the organization makes you who you are, but it’s the people that make the organization what it is,” said McNeal.

McNeal said people often think joining an organization somehow changes who they are. However, he said the organization is only a reflection of who you are.

“Greek Life enhances you are,” said McNeal.

McNeal said your organization doesn’t change you, but rather gives you a platform and resources “to do what’s in your heart.” 

Bria Lewis, sophomore pre-pharmacy major, is also apart of Greek Life and said this event was much needed.

Lewis said she thinks it helped non-Greeks to understand that just because you are apart of Greek Life, you don’t have to go to parties and do what others do. 

“You can still have fun and be safe,” Lewis said.

Rollins and McNeal hope to take this forum on tour in the future.