Tennis season takes off

The fall season will start for ULM tennis with the Southern Miss Invitational this weekend.

Head coach Terrence De Jongh will once again lead the team. De Jongh enters his seventh season at the helm of the Warhawks. 

The tennis season is broken into two parts. 

The first half, which takes place in the fall, is made up of standard individual tennis games.

The spring season is when the girls will represent their respective schools as teams.

Although no conference title is   up for grabs this semester, De Jongh made the goal for the team clear.

“The ultimate goal is to win conference, but to get there to win the conference we need to start now,” he said.

De Jongh has had success at ULM, but a Sun Belt title has been one goal that has eluded him. 

In De Jongh’s tenure at ULM, he has coached multiple all conference selections and even a Capital One Academic All-American in Claire Clark. 

The team took a dip last season.  The team finished at a pedestrian 8-9 in conference. They would go on to be bounced in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament.

Petra Horakova looks to head the Warhawks. 

The junior has been an integral part of the team. She took in an all-conference selection last year.

She also was named to the Sun Belt Commissioner’s List for the 2012-2013 season. 

Horakova said that the team has worked hard to come back in better shape this year. 

She said that the team has worked hard on its conditioning and is ready to get the season started.

“That’s what we are here for, to compete and win matches,” Horakova said.

The team will continue its year with the Lady Demon Fall Tournament in Natchitoches, Louisiana, Sept. 26-28.

ULM will make the trip to Waco, Texas, to the Baylor Invitational on Oct. 3-5.

They will also head down to Lafayette to participate in the ULL Invitational on the same dates of Oct. 3-5.

They will then travel to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, to participate in the ITA Regional Tournament Oct. 10-13.

The Warhawks will conclude the fall season in New Orleans for the UNO Big Easy Invitational Oct. 24-26.