#Takeover campaign for redemption

The Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity announced its return to campus.

The fraternity was suspended from the university in the fall of 2012 due to violations of its bond-brotherhood. 

During their suspension period, the “Nupe” brothers were under heavy surveillance by not only the university but also the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity National Board.

It seemed as though the Nupes vanished from ULM without a trace. This question arose in the last two years: “What happened to the fraternity and why?” With no explanation to the suspension, chatter among the student body lingered.

Caitlin Jones, a junior radiologic technology major said, “I remember seeing them all around campus my freshman year in 2012. They were one of the most popular fraternities on campus, and next thing I knew, they’d just disappeared and no one knew the real reason why.” 

Jones recalled past memories of attending a few of the Nupes’ parties with some of her friends in 2012 before their suspension.  

“I’m eager to see what they will bring back to campus this year!” Jones said.

Kappa Alpha Psi president Jerry Cox received a phone call on September 7, 2012, rendering news that the fraternity would be placed on national probation.  

The senior toxicology major said, “I’ll never forget that call. I was just elected in as president in May of 2012. At that moment, I knew changes had to be made for the betterment of our chapter.”

Any kind of representation of the chapter on and off campus was prohibited during the suspension. 

Cox said, “I don’t know what people thought, but there was absolutely no hazing involved.”