Women’s golf wins at home

The ULM women’s golf team defended its home course for the second year in a row on Friday at the Fred Marx Invitational.

The Warhawks bested second place Sam Houston by four strokes after finishing in the top spot in all three rounds and posting a final score of 908. 

Head coach Heather Holte said they maintained the same routine in the weeks leading up to the competition.

“We tried to keep the same routine nothing special. With our home course we tried to keep it old hat,” Holte said.

Three seniors Kathy Sterling, Emily Stratton and Ines Fendt played their last round of golf on their home turf on Monday and Tuesday.

Fendt put together her lowest 56-hole score of her career. She boasted a final score of 221, or five over par, and led the team throughout the tournament. 

“The tournament was really important for me as it was my last home tournament. I had a really good practice beforehand and the overall round was my best result. Everyone did a great job and with three seniors we all wanted to go out and do well at our last home tournament,” Fendt said.

Two other Warhawks finished in the top 15 in the individual standings of the competition.

Lana Hodge and Angela No each shot an overall score of 231 with strong finishes in the last round.

Coach Holte seemed happy with the way her team played. 

“I’m extremely proud and everyone put in a score that counted and it was a team win. Angela’s final round was awesome and Ines was steady the entire way scoring her best overall round,” Holte said.

The Warhawks travel to Portland next Saturday to compete in the Rose City Collegiate Tournament where they will play 36 rounds on Monday and 18 on Wednesday. 

“Our win at the Marx Invitational will be a good confidence booster going into Portland State. The tournament is being held two hours from my childhood home and I’ve played a lot of rounds there and wanted to take them somewhere different,” Holte said.

This marked the first win for ULM during the Heather Holte era.