Editorial: Christian gives his perspective

I realize that if this were to be posted it’d make for the third one in a row dedicated to pornography. But, the last two articles, both for and against, have landed so far off the point that I feel the Spirit convicts me to write this.

So, let me start by saying, I am against pornography but not at all in the same way Ms. Collette is. Because frankly, what business of mine is it, as a Christian, to enforce my morals on people who don’t believe in my God and aren’t saved in the first place?

What good does it do if I convict them that pornography is a sin and horrible for relation- ships if they are not saved?

It’s like trying to cure some- one’s cancer while they’re chained to the wall of a burning house. They are in the world’s hands, not God’s- they are un-

able to see why pornography is evil because they’re blind to Christ. So while I respect what Collette was trying to do, I have to diverge from her point.

Matthew 5:27-29 says “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.”

What’s the point of having someone gouge out their eye if they’re missing Christ and still destined to Hell (And look, I love you all. I pray for all of you and can vouch for other Chris- tians on campus that do as well. I realize the backlash this will

get me but I love you more than I love your opinion about me.)? There is none. So, any argument to get someone out of their sin without addressing the root is- sue of a lost soul is frankly an exercise in futility.

Now as for the argument in favor of pornography, I’m not going to judge what you do or support if you’re not in Christ because Romans 2 forbids judg- ing outside of the church. But, I will say this- everyone, includ- ing myself, is storing up God’s wrath in their sin. And, por- nography is a sin- thus, it stores up the wrath of God. Thus, it

is not that an addiction to por- nography is a sin- it’s that any sexual stimulation outside of a married man and his wife is sin (pornographic viewing between couples is a sin as well).

I’m addicted to caffeine. It doesn’t affect my life at all, but I couldn’t stop it easily if I want- ed. That’s not a sin because I’m not in rebellion against God. Pornography, at heart, is a sin.

It doesn’t matter if it interferes with your daily activity because in its simplest form it is a rebel- lion against God our creator. Matthew 22:37-38 says: “And (Jesus) said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first command- ment.”

Guys, if you’re not a Christian I’m much more concerned for your salvation than pornogra-

phy and I have no right to judge you for it. But if you’re a pro- claiming Christian and you’re looking at porn, know this: I love you but you need to get this straight with God. It’s a sin and may signify you’re not saved in the first place.

If you’re struggling with it, let someone know. There are churches and college ministries like the BCM and Wesley that would love to help you out and conquer this sin. We in BCM are in the quad every Thursday from 9-12. Or, you can drop an informational card in our prayer box in the BCM (it’s to the right as you come in) and we’ll get to you. But whatever the case, we’d love to help. God loves you and so do we- we both want to see victory over this in you.

Jason Weimar, junior history major