London artist brings abstract to Louisiana

IMG_9476The whole world is the canvas for abstract artist Marcia Scott. 

“To see the paint move, it’s like seeing nature work because it’s like something beyond you,” Scott said.

Her work sent her from her home in London, England, where she has lived most of her life to Madrid, Spain, New York and now Monroe.

Scott arrived in Monroe from New York where she has spent the last three years. Scott’s start began in New York with her stepfather Frank Bowling in the 60’s.  Around 2010, she decided to pursue painting full-time. She put on her first show that included around 30 paintings at the end of those two and a half months.

Scott’s stepfather was her inspiration to paint and “to work in an abstract way” and was also “the motivation to come to America as a place that is very welcoming of abstract artists.”

Upon her arrival to New York, she was emotional about the city, the people and the pain in the history of America.

“I called my exhibition ‘Blood, Sweat, n Tears’ because I was quite isolated from family so I felt quite sad in that way, but I also felt very much the pain of the history of slavery in America and the kind of crying out of souls,” Scott said.

Scott met Joni Noble, associate art professor, around four years ago at a group exhibition at the Cello Factory Gallery in London. She said they reunite every summer

Noble asked Scott two years ago if she wanted to do a studio talk with Noble’s students. Scott gave lectures for Noble’s students in the British Studies Program. This year Noble asked Scott if she wanted to do a show.

Scott moved to abstract art while doing exhibitions in Madrid because she “suddenly needed 24 paintings in a short period of time.” 

“The actual piece of the painting he did was like a catalyst for me to launch me into my own journey of abstraction with painting,” Scott said.

Scott said her first New York show in 2012 went well enough that she came back despite juggling commitments in London.

She changed from acrylic paint to gloss paint around that time and said that was a significant change for her art. After being offered two shoes in New York, Scott said she “hit cloud nine.”

Scott compared New York to London and said that many in New York are interested in abstract art and “put their money where their mouth is.”  However, she said that London “has slightly more traditional taste.” 

Scott said because New York’s identity is closely entwined with abstract expressionism from the 60s, the city welcomes abstract art and new art.

One of her exhibitions in New York featured mainly black gloss paintings such as her “Mercury Falling” inspired by 60’s abstract expressionism. Scott enjoys working on both large and small scales and often works on paintings in series so she’ll be “working on around five or six paintings at the same time.”

“It’s using the idea of the rainbow which is sort of inspired by my understanding of God, like a miracle of creation to the rainbow. It’s just this extraordinary thing,” Scott said.