Enjoy Halloween while on budget

After many months of cloudy humid nights and blazing sunshine during the day, the slight chill of fall can be felt for the first time. 

Darkness falls and a bright orange harvest moon can be seen across the bayou.

The thrill of the month hits like the smell of smoke from the first bonfire of the season. 

Halloween is approaching and some are plagued with what  to wear. The struggle is evident, especially among college students. 

Sometimes students just can’t afford to splurge on that one night a year when people are able to become whoever they want to be.

Whittney Plunkett, a sophomore political science major, joined forces with her roommate and they decided to make their own costumes. 

“We already have to spend so much money on gas and food. Then when you want to dress up in something fun for Halloween, most of the costumes you find in stores are crazy expensive,” Plunkett said.

Plunkett and her roommate bought a large green T-shirt and tackled the sleeves and tail with a pair of shears. 

Then leggings and a belt created the Peter Pan look Plunkett hoped for.

There are many ways to save money, look good and still have fun this Halloween. 

Shelby Hunter, freshman undeclared major, bought items that she would actually wear in her everyday life to get her money’s worth.

“I bought a fedora and a black mask. I spent maybe fifteen dollars total, and the fedora I can pretty much wear with anything,” Hunter said. 

Derry Jones, a senior communications and psychology major, said students should wear their costume more than once.

“You could keep it for a year. Try it on and, if it fits, wear it again,” said Jones.

Perhaps the fun of Halloween begins long before the party starts, when dressing up or making that perfect conversation starter. 

Finding the costume doesn’t have to be a painstaking and expensive process. 

Instead, it could be the start of all the fun of Halloween festivities. It could be where the party truly begins.