Don’t take movies like ‘Ouija’ too seriously

IMG_9495When it comes to horror movies, everyone suddenly becomes a seasoned critic. There is something special about horror movies that brings it out in people.

“Ouija,” the newest Halloween time horror, was marked for death before it even hit theaters. It definitely isn’t Oscar-worthy, but it’s a fun flick designed to keep its audience on their adrenaline pumped toes.

That’s how most scary stories are meant to be. Not every horror film storyline needs to be intricately woven into the gates of Hell. 

Sometimes these ghostly tales just want to make you laugh and scream. There’s nothing more to it so just sit back and enjoy it. 

“Ouija” opens up with two little girls toying with a plastic Ouija board and the blonde girl warns her friend to never play alone. 

Fast-forward about 10 years and the blonde girl is playing alone. She’s let a malevolent spirit out and she pays for it during a big shocker in the first few minutes of the film.

Now it’s up to her friends to right her wrong and fight back against the evil Ouija board by using said evil Ouija board.

The ensemble of stupid teenagers in this movie had no problem making bad decisions. If I walked into my basement and saw a decaying corpse with its mouth sewn shut I would not-so-calmly walk right back out.

It’s fun to laugh at these things and sometimes you just need a good jump scare. The jump scares in “Ouija” were random and cheap, but they served their purpose. This movie is worth a watch if you’re looking for something spooky to do for Halloween.