Volleyball falls to Trojans in three straight sets

ULM got tricked instead of treated Halloween night, dropping in three straight sets to conference foe UALR.

The Warhawks came out strong, and with a lot of energy in the first set, giving the Trojans all they could handle. The Trojans would take the first set by the score of 25-22.

UALR would take the momentum, and use it to dominate the second set 25-12.

The Warhawks showed fight in the third set, but eventually fell 25-17.   

ULM got a complete team effort as Hope Pawlik and Hadley Swartz each pitched in eight kills a piece while Kaitlyn Shearer tallied up seven.

Marcela Araya continued her impressive season, racking up another 24 digs to her season total. She is now 41 digs away from setting a new school record for digs in a single season. She already currently holds the record of 549 digs in a season.

Despite the loss, the team seemed optimistic.

Senior libero Marcela Araya said that the team is getting better.

“We are improving, definitely. Slowly, but we are improving,” she said.

The loss drops ULM to 7-20 on the season, with a 1-13 record in conference. UALR continues their undefeated streak, and is now 14-0 in the Sun Belt.

Head coach Patrick Hiltz still remained confident with his team, and said he was looking forward to stepping on the court again.

“Now we make some tweaks, and hopefully we’re able to go get a couple wins next weekend,” he said.

The Warhawks have six games remaining in the regular season. The team will travel to play Troy and Georgia State before returning home to play Arkansas State and Appalachian State.

ULM will then close out the season on the road against South Alabama and UL-Lafayette.

The Warhawks have been on a six game skid since winning their first conference game against Troy.

The Warhawks are currently 10th in the conference, ahead of only Troy.

The next stretch of schedule will determine if the Warhawks are able to make the Sun Belt Conference tournament. The Warhawks will need to win virtually all of their remaining games in order to make it to the end of season tournament.

ULM is currently four wins behind both UL-Lafayette and South Alabama