Tailgate funds medical laboratory science event

As Saturday kicked off with festivities in anticipation for the big game between ULM and ULL, the medical laboratory science program hosted a tailgate to raise money for their annual bi-state conference. 

Students sold jambalaya for $5 per container and auctioned off a painting created by one of their own.

The bi-state conference represents an important opportunity for students within MLS to come together, according to Clayton Trisler.

“It brings MLS students from Mississippi and Louisiana together to share experiences and build fellowship,” said Trisler, a senior MLS major.

The conference not only gives students a chance to connect with those in other states but also those within their own schools, said Juliana Kemege.

“This year as a young professional I’ll get to make great connections and it gives us seniors a chance to hang out with the juniors,” said Kemege, a senior MLS major.

One of the highlights of the conference is the student bowl, which consists of teams of five competing in a “Jeopardy!” style competition in which questions pertaining to MLS are asked.

Each competition lasts a total of 20 minutes with each team allowed 30 seconds to buzz in their answers. Professors serve as judges and moderators during the competition.

The bowl provides students with an opportunity to fraternize with other MLS groups as well as giving them a chance to sharpen their knowledge, according to Jessica Lasiter.

“It helps prepare them for their certification board exams which come up shortly after in the spring,” said Lasiter, an assistant professor in the School of Health Professions.