Art fraternity wins on-site competition against Tech

Kappa Pi, ULM’s honorary art fraternity, won the first annual Art Battle hosted by the Masur Museum of Art Nov.13.

The competition included teams from Louisiana Tech, the Downtown Arts Alliance and the Masur Museam.

Kappa Pi team received the most number of dollar votes, winning the competition and raising the most money for the Masur Museum.

The Art Battle is a competition where teams compete to create a work of art in an hour. The artists were given a sheet of plywood to use as a canvas in this battle.

The public that attends the party vote on which art they like the most. It’s a dollar a vote, and whoever has the most votes wins.

Alyssa Guidry Posey, Kappa Pi President, said this was a great way to showcase students artistic ability.

“This gets the community involved, and we are doing it as Kappa Pi because we want to show people that ULM has an awesome art department that wants to get out into the community. We’re doing it for the fun,” Posey said.

The money is split halfway between the artists and the Masur Museum along with the Twin City Arts Foundation. The winner gets half of the money that they raise.

The event was a part of Party 318, which is an open house to young professionals and museum members, with the purpose of trying to get people out to see what’s going on as far as art and culture are concerned at the Masur.

Along with the Art Battle, the Museum also opened up its exhibits. A live band, food trucks and a free open bar were also present.

ULM’s team consisted of Kappa Pi members Alyssa Guidry Posey, Jacob Evens, Katie Anyan, Shelbi Penny and William Holley.

In the single hour that they were permitted to work, ULM’s Kappa Pi team created a colorful, abstract painting.

Katie Anyan, a junior art education major, said she was shocked at the results due to the unplanned idea.

“We didn’t go by our plan at all, but it turned out better than what we all expected. It’s been an interesting way for us to bond because, since we didn’t have a clear plan, in the end it was all of our ideas that made it a success,” Anyan said.