Discrimination affects everyone

One of the biggest issues our world has today is our inability to see someone for anything other than their nationality or skin color.

The standards by which people are judged have grown worse by the year.
Friction amongst the races has been a frequent issue in times past and is still very common.

One day there are Jews being killed, then there’s segregation between whites and blacks, and now two men are kicked out of a shooting range for being Muslim.

A gun range owner in Hot Springs, Ark., declared her business a “Muslim-free zone” last year and recently asked a Hindu father and his son of South Asian descent to leave the range.

The owner publically claimed she did not feel comfortable with Muslim people having a gun.

Problems such as these are always brought to our attention, but it seems they are swept under the rug and not fully dealt with when they first arise.

People who are cooking dinner might hear a story like this on the news and say, “that’s a darn shame,” but put their heads down and continue cooking shortly after.

Humans have a natural tendency to disregard matters that indirectly affect us. But who cares if you’re not the same nationality or skin color of someone being unfairly treated?

Unfair treatment to someone of any descent should bring concern to people of every other descent too.

You may not be able to understand what it’s like to be someone else unless you’re living in their shoes, but there’s no law that says you can’t try.

Anyone who thinks we have a chance of being a better country or better world by distancing ourselves or discriminating against those of different races are misled.

It is impossible to affectively cooperate with something or someone you don’t understand. We can only move forward together once all races find a level of understanding of each other.

Instead, we put a certain race in a box based off the crimes a handful of them make.

Take the shooting in Paris for instance. The people who committed the treacherous crime were Muslim.

Flashbacks of the 9/11 attack probably came to the minds after hearing about something like this and some may have even began to categorize all Muslims as being terrorists.

If someone of your race committed armed robbery, you wouldn’t want your race to be categorized as people who committed those kinds of crimes.

An entire race or religion cannot be held responsible for the actions of only a small group.

While Allah may be the voice behind terrorists, he is also the voice behind good people that mean no harm to others.

While a black man may rob a store at gunpoint, that says nothing for the thousands of black Americans working hard to earn an honest living and succeed.

There will always be people in the world that do the wrong thing and hurt others, but that’s just who they are as people.

No matter what God, place, skin color or influence has caused them to become that way, we can’t let their moment of terror or threat become louder than all the small acts of kindness, generosity and hard work put forth by everyone else.

If we allow ourselves to be set back a hundred years in just that one moment, we will never progress at all.

Basically, you want to be treated as your own person just as much as the people you see and read about in the news.

People want to be given an honest chance to be an individual because we are all different.

Being from dissimilar races obviously means being from different backgrounds and ourcustoms and ways of doing things may be contradictory to that of another.

However, rather than allowing it to be a hindrance to becoming one with each other, it should fuel us to be patient and try to understand the people we are unfamiliar with.

If we want to succeed in this, it won’t be any different than the teamwork that members of a sports team must have to win a game.

Only when all members of the team work together cohesively and pass the ball to each other do they stand a chance of winning.

But a team of players who each care only for themselves and no one else is a team destined for disorder and a losing season.

Our world is like the team whose players only look out for themselves and we’re constantly losing each game. We’re the teammates who hog the ball with the selfish mentality that “it’s all about us.”

A winning team understands that working together is the key to their success.

A team that works together may not necessarily win every game, but they are able to stand against any challenge without falling apart. And even when they do lose, they still win because they stuck together.

Unity is what our world is missing now.