Flash back to top 2014 films

The year 2014 flew by, and it was a great year for film. The list includes movies that had wide theatrical releases in 2014 and are either American or where English is the dominant language spoken.

It’s based off of a general consensus of critically acclaimed films for the year.

Note: I’ve seen every film I mention in the list.

5. “Guardians of the Galaxy” (dir. James Gunn)

Plot: A group of intergalactic criminals are forced to work together to stop a fanatical warrior from taking control of the universe.
Without a doubt the most fun I’ve had at the movies in a long time was watching this film. It is Marvel Studio’s riskiest endeavor to date, and it paid off big time. The movie is littered with jokes and pop culture references, and that’s not even the best part.

4. “The Grand Budapest Hotel” (dir. Wes Anderson)
Plot: The adventures of Gustave H., a legendary concierge at a famous hotel from the fictional Republic of Zubrowka between the first and second World Wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend.
It’s a Wes Anderson film, so if you’re familiar with the director’s filmography then you know what you’re getting into from the start. For those that don’t: it’s quirky and smart dialogue, witty and over the top characters, and lots of fun to watch. It’s one of the funniest movies of the year, and interesting to see such weird characters interacting throughout.

3. “Birdman” (dir. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu)

Plot: A washed-up actor who once played an iconic superhero must overcome his ego and family trouble as he mounts a Broadway play in a bid to reclaim his past glory.
It’s got something to say, and it delivers its message in a way we aren’t used to seeing. The cast is stellar, and nobody disappoints. This is the movie that made Inarritu one of the most sought after directors in Hollywood right now. The movie is edited to give the effect of one continuous take throughout its entirety. It’s strange to see a movie like that, but it’s great the way Birdman pulls it off. It’s hard to think someone would watch this and be disappointed.

2. “Whiplash” (dir. Damien Chazelle)

Plot: A promising young drummer enrolls at a cutthroat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student’s potential.
This is my favorite movie of the art films this year, and that’s saying a lot considering the competition. It gets straight to the point, and isn’t very long either. The soundtrack was great. The acting is great.

1. “Interstellar” (dir. Christopher Nolan)

Plot: A team of explorers travel through a wormhole in an attempt to ensure humanity’s survival.
Interstellar is deservedly in any top 10 list of 2014, but number 1? Yes. I enjoy art films as well as blockbusters, but I enjoy the big time movies slightly more. It’s just how the average movie-watcher feels, and it’s no different for me. I saw this for the first time in IMAX and it was an experience I won’t forget. The visuals and sound are out of this world at times (pun intended).