Students compare chicken chains

Raising Cane’s, a new chicken finger is in town.

A new Zaxby’s restaurant appeared near campus on Highway 165. Zaxby’s is a fast food restaurant that specializes in fried chicken fingers like Raising Cane’s.

The Raising Cane’s restaurant located by campus is on Louisville Avenue. Zaxby’s has a location in West Monroe, but the Monroe location will be closer to campus.

Ten ULM students who dined at both the Raising Cane’s location in Monroe and the Zaxby’s location in West Monroe compared and contrasted the quality of food items at both restaurants.

Though a close call, students said they preferred Raising Cane’s chicken strips. Students who favored Raising Cane’s chicken strips said the chicken was juicier, while students who favored Zaxby’s said the chicken had more flavor overall.

Students said they preferred Zaxby’s fries due to its house seasoning that is available at every table.

“I like how the fries are seasoned and that I have the option to season them more,” said Lindsay
Moore, a junior pre-pharmacy major.

Though many students said the signature sauces of the two chicken finger restaurants were similar, Raising Cane’s won the most votes.

Students said they also liked Raising Cane’s atmosphere.

“One of my favorite things about Cane’s is that they support ULM Warhawks. At the last two ULM basketball games I’ve attended, I’ve received a coupon to buy one meal and get another free at Cane’s,” said Silvienne Sint Jago, a sophomore biology major.

These students noticed the lack of posters supporting the Warhawks in the West Monroe Zaxby’s, but they said they realized the location near campus might be more supportive.

“There is not a Warhawk in sight, and there is LSU propaganda everywhere,” said Dillon Wiley, a sophomore biology major.

At Raising Cane’s, one can choose from fried chicken strips, a fried chicken sandwich, fries, Texas toast, coleslaw and its signature sauce.

Zaxby’s menu is much broader and includes salads, chicken wings, fried pickles, milkshakes, assorted desserts and more.

Students said the wait time and the price of chicken strip meals was about the same at each restaurant.

The Monroe Zaxby’s will also support Warhawks athletics, as the interior will include customized school memorabilia.

Zaxby’s first location in Monroe will open on Monday, Feb. 2 at 1608 Old Sterlington Road.