Mock Trial heads to Memphis in March

It has only taken ULM’s mock trial team a few years to make university history. The Gold Squad finished as one of the top seven teams at the American Mock Trial Association Regional Tournament on Feb. 1.

They are now headed to the Opening Round Championship Series in Memphis, Tenn., in March.

Gabriel Silva is among one of the founding members of the mock trial team.

“As a founding member of the mock trial team, I am pleased by how far we have come in the last three years. We were able to advance to nationals due to the sacrifices and hard work of each member on this team,” Silva said.

Silva, a senior political science major, has served on the mock trial team since its founding in 2013.

During the regional tournament, Adam Nettles, a sophomore political science major, won the award for best attorney.

“I am honored to have won the award for best attorney, but know it wouldn’t have been possible without the strong performances of my teammates and the guidance of my coaches and faculty”, Nettles said.

Senior Olivia Sage felt their success came from teamwork this year.

We have a lot of talent on the Mock Trial team and I feel that being able to come together and be cohesive and competitive really is what pushed us over the edge,” said Sage, a political science major.

Out of 900 teams that competed in the regional tournament, only 200 qualified to move on to ORCS.

Political science professor Joshua Stockley said that even though the Gold Squad advanced “we should not ignore the fact that the Maroon Squad performed as well.”

“They had a tough schedule and were competitive with big name schools. I’m very, very proud of both teams and all the students,” Stockley said.

Stockley believes that for the mock trial team to have made it this far in a few short years is nothing short of phenomenal.