Up ‘til Dawn sweetens up Valentine’s DayUp ‘til Dawn sweetens up Valentine’s Day

Up ‘til Dawn has one mission and that’s to support St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in as many ways possible. For Valentine’s Day, Up ‘til Dawn held a lollipop sale to remind college students to keep St. Jude in their hearts.

Katee Fairchild, a junior medical laboratory science major, thought the fundraiser went well. And she enjoyed seeing the smiling faces of the people that bought lollipops.

“Some people that came by did not care for a lollipop, but still made a donation to St. Jude which really touched our hearts,” Fairchild said.

Fairchild is the executive director of Up ‘til Dawn and has built a personal relationship with St. Jude. She knew a boy from her church who was diagnosed with cancer at two years old and was cared for by St. Jude.

“I’ve also had people in my family who have battled cancer. St. Jude has always been near and dear to my heart,” Fairchild said.

Up ‘til Dawn executive board members Hannah Mosher and Madison Harlow spent a couple of hours selling cherry lollipops to everyone who stopped by the SUB Info Booth.

“There are millions of kids at St. Jude fighting their battle with cancer and it makes me want to be out here selling lollipops for the kids at St. Jude,” said Harlow, a sophomore pre-occupational therapy assistant.

Mosher, a sophomore biology major, was inspired to sell lollipops by thinking of the children currently at St. Jude who could not be where she is now.

“Being out here is helping a kid somewhere else who is struggling with cancer that doesn’t have everything that we have,” Mosher said.

Up ‘til Dawn sold all of their heart-shaped lollipops and raised a total of $234.

St. Jude Children’s Hospital opened its doors in 1962 on the dream of late entertainer Danny Thomas.

The hospital’s mission statement is, “To advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. No child is denied treatment based on race, religion, or a family’s ability to pay.”

The daily operating cost for St. Jude is $2 million, which is largely supported by public donation.