Fairweather fans forget formalities with fandom

Wow, you look great in your Patriots gear. It’s a vast departure from your typical Seattle getup filled with blue and green.

If you have changed favorite teams multiple times within the past few years, you are a bandwagon fan.

Here’s the way to fix your problem. Pick one team. Yes, you’re about to make a lifelong decision.

Here are your suggestions. You can pick the closest geographical team. No one will give you trouble about this pick. This is mostly because they’re probably fans of this team too.

Your second choice is to simply follow your family and root for whomever they cheer for. I followed this code. In professional sports it’s given my fandom precisely one title.

That 1995 Cowboys team was something. My one-year-old self was surely excited. I probably cried when we won.

You can like other teams. Don’t get me wrong. I like the Patriots because I envy Tom Brady.

This doesn’t only apply to football. That’s right, I’m coming for all you Cavalier, Heat and back-to-being Cavalier fans. You can like LeBron. You can’t call yourself a fan of whatever team he’s on. I’m ashamed to admit that I was on this bandwagon. Sinners make the best pastors, however, and I’m trying to take you to church.

I know what you’re thinking. My team is constantly letting me down. Guess what, so has almost every other team who didn’t win the title.

Trust me on this one. I’ve been there. I’ve wanted to root for a winner while my owner, general manager and president sends my team into a desperate pitfall filled with anxiety and disappointment. You just have to stick it out.

It really makes it that much sweeter whenever your team wins. When the Cowboys finally seemed to be legitimate contenders I was overjoyed. When they were put out, I couldn’t help but still be happy at the season the team had.

That’s where the heart of sports is. You’ve got to go through the hard times to appreciate the good times. It’s just like life. That’s why we love it.