Red Wolves down Warhawks

Women’s basketball took a loss in Jonesboro, Arkansas against Arkansas State Saturday, 69-61.

The loss drops the Warhawks to 10-15 overall with a 6-10 record in the Sun Belt.

The Red Wolves move to 13-3 within the conference while boasting a 18-8 overall record.

Junior Alayshia Hunter dropped a career-high 22 points on 11-of-16 shooting from the field.

Senior Sharnice Brooks also contributed 18 points to go along with her 11 rebounds. Saturday was the second time this year Brooks has recorded a double-double.

The Warhawks were unable to keep much momentum after playing from behind almost the whole game. A-State had a lead as big as 10 halfway through the second half.

Arkansas State’s Aundrea Gamble led all scorers with 23 points. Khadi Brown-Haywood and Jasmine Hunt each put out double-digit performances for the Red Wolves as well.

ULM had a 44-28 advantage in points in the paint. This was coupled by scoring nine more points on second chance opportunities. ULM outrebounded the Red Wolves 39-36.

Arkansas State did hold the advantage in points off of turnovers. The Red Wolves scored 18 points off Warhawk giveaways while ULM only capitalized on A-State turnovers to the tune of 10 points.

The Warhawks now have a set of road games this week. The team will travel to South Alabama for a meeting with the Jaguars Thursday and to Appalachian State Saturday.

The loss puts the Warhawks in danger of not making the Sun Belt Tournament. The top eight teams clinch a seed to the postseason tourney.

ULM is currently in the ninth position in conference, tied with Appalachian State.

The Mountaineers won the first meeting between the schools on Valentine’s Day, 55-54. That game was played at Fant-Ewing Coliseum.