SGA grants money to lacrosse club

SGA granted a $500 RSO scholarship to the lacrosse club.

The lacrosse club does not receive any funding from ULM’s athletic department, and is recognized as a registered student organization.

A previous granted RSO scholarship went towards the club hosting its own tournament in Forsythe Park.

The club will use the field at Forsythe Park until they are given a chance to move on campus. They are unsure as to when or if this will happen.

Aaron Head, a team captain and coach, appealed to SGA for the scholarship so the team can play more away games.

The scholarship will help cover expenses like gas, van rentals, field paint, and referee fees.

The lacrosse club also holds fundraisers, such as selling Johnny’s pizza cards, and over the past 2 years they have earned enough to buy jerseys.

Head announced that team practices are open to anybody, and they need players.

“We can teach anyone to play; you just have to know how to run. That’s all I’m asking for,” said Head.

The practices aren’t limited to male participation either.

They invite and encourage women to play as well.

“We’ve been trying to get a girl’s team started, but there aren’t enough people interested in it,” said Seth Bordelon, a team member.

The team is very appreciative of SGA’s support, because the RSO scholarships are the only funding they receive aside from the funds that they raise themselves and the dues of members.

Head hopes to see more support from ULM, so that funds are easier to come by and they are better able to compete.

“We wish the school would help us more. It’s an amazing opportunity that they are missing out on,” Head said.

Trey Garza, a team member, encourages people to join the team because anyone can play.

“It’s an extreme contact sport; but unlike most contact sports in which you have to be a certain size to be good, lacrosse allows all sizes to play without an unfair advantage,” Garza said.

A previous granted RSO scholarship went towards the team hosting its own tournament in Forsythe Park.

The team will use the field at Forsythe Park until they are given a chance to move on campus.

They are unsure as to when or if this will happen.

Students interested in playing lacrosse can email Aaron Head at [email protected].

Like the lacrosse team’s facebook page ‘ULM Warhawks Lacrosse Club’ to keep up with the team.