Greeks cook up competition

Greeks needed more than just the “luck of the Irish” on St. Patrick’s Day this week to help them win Greek Week points for their different organizations.

Students from various Greek sororities and fraternities participated in the annual Greek Week. Organizations paired up and competed in different games and challenges.

The events included a cook-off, dodgeball, kickball and a step show. The week also called for participation in a baseball tailgate and Browse on the Bayou.

Points were awarded based on a scale from 100 to 10 among seven different teams with 100 representing first place.

Though a lighthearted competition, some events had a deeper purpose.  Greeks raised money for different local and national charities with their events such as penny wars.

Competitions included last Monday’s cook-off after a Sunday afternoon tailgate. The cook-off featured all teams who made an entrée and dessert to be judged by several volunteers from Student Life.

Kappa Alpha won the award for best entrée and Kappa Delta won best dessert with a “splendid brownie.”

“We won best dessert due to a lot of help from my sister and a little bit of sugar and Greek unity,” said Grace Jeanfreau, a sophomore biology major.

Pi Kappa Alpha paired with Delta Sigma Theta competed strongly in kickball and dodgeball winning first and second place respectively.

“Greek Week is something we look forward to every year as PIKEs. We like getting the chance to work with our fellow Greeks to raise money for charity and also to have some friendly competition,” said Alex Crist, a senior kinesiology major.

“Thanks to our Greek Week chairmen John Luke Bigelow, Lauren Jennings and the rest of the Greek affiliates, Greek Week was a success for our chapter and the ULM Greeks as a whole,” Crist said.

Kappa Beta Gamma is a new sorority on campus who participated in their first Greek Week this spring.

“I’d say our first Greek week went great! It was exciting being able to participate in events with other Greek life, and it gave us a chance to get to know more of the other Greek organizations better in a fun setting,” said Lauren Sherman, a senior occupational therapy major and member.

Greek Week winners will be announced around later in the semester during a Greek Life award banquet.