Warhawks to continue on in CBI tournament

Taylor Ongwar goes up for a scoring shot.

Tylor Ongwae, ULM forward, raised up for a three-pointer with 1:22 left in the game with Vermont.

The shot was from almost the same spot where Ongwae hit a pair of three’s in the Warhawks’ win over Eastern Michigan. Just like those shots, this jumper went in.

The shot iced the game for the home team. The final score was 71-65.

Keith Richard , ULM head coach, said the shot was a big part of the win.

“Tylor, you know, hit a 30-foot three, again. I guess that’s his thing,” Richard said.

Ongwae finished the game with 22 points. Ongwae’s frontcourt partners of Jamaal Samuel and Majok Deng also contributed double-digit performances. Samuel put up 14.

Deng finished with a double-double, grabbing 11 rebounds and scoring 22 points.

The Warhawks jumped out to a big lead early in the first half. They led by as many as 14.

Vermont would use an 11-0 run and a ULM scoring drought to bring a 35-33 lead into the half.

Early in the second half ULM made the switch to a 2-3 zone. The zone mainly consisted of a backline of Ongwae, Deng and Samuel. The length of the zone gave Vermont plenty of trouble offensively.

The Warhawks forced nine Vermont turnovers in the second half. Those turnovers directly led to 14 ULM points.

John Becker, Vermont’s head coach, said at some points the Warhawks “looked like Syracuse out there to us.”

That zone led to ULM going on a 17-2 run and taking an eight-point lead about midway through the second half.

Vermont would close the gap to four with 2:22 left. Ongwae hit a jumper and then the three-pointer to close the door on the Catamounts.

The win puts the Warhawks into the finals of the CBI.

ULM will enter a three-game series with Loyola University Chicago. The first game will be played Monday in Chicago. The series will then shift to Monroe for the Wednesday night game.