Alpha Week corrals community

The Eta Chi chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. held its annual “Alpha Week” last week with philanthropy and party events.

Proceeds from events went to the fraternity’s scholarship fund as well as the March of Dimes organization.

Andre’ Philips, a sophomore pre-pharmacy and toxicology major, is an Alpha Phi Alpha.

“The significance of Alpha Week is that we are allotted one week out of the year to bring the students of ULM a diverse variety of events,” Philips said.

Students can attend workshops, competitions, a car wash and a church service.

Philips said it allows them to “educate, entertain and uplift the students.”

This week included “Happy Monday” where members served free doughnuts and juice on campus for breakfast.

“Therapy Tuesday” brought students a substance abuse awareness program in the Quad then a workshop for success after college.

Other awareness events during the week focused on STDs and domestic abuse.

The fraternity’s popular “Stroll like an Alpha” competition happened Wednesday in Bayou Park. This second annual stroll-off featured eight teams mentored by Alphas. The ULM women’s track team won this year.

Jessica Lee, a sophomore pre-nursing major, had never strolled “like an Alpha” before and decided to participate on a team with her sorority sisters.

“I am very glad I chose to be a part of ‘Stroll like an Alpha.’ I would definitely do it again,” Lee said.

It’s the one time in the year that non-members can imitate the organization’s traditions in their performances, according to Philips.

Philips’ favorite event is the fraternity’s Adopt-a-School session at local Madison James Foster elementary school. The fraternity’s weekly mentoring program allows them to interact with the students as role models.

During Alpha Week, the fraternity opens up this service opportunity to all ULM students who wish to participate.

“This is my favorite event because it really extends the purpose and mission of our fraternity to the entire community by the community,” Philips said.

Marc Calhoun, a senior biology major and fraternity president, said the purpose is to show the members care for the campus and community.

Calhoun also said that the fraternity’s outreach does not just last one week out of the year.

“From the beginning to the end, faculty, students and the community are affected by the things we do to show people that Alpha cares,” Calhoun said.