Grove takes center stage

Treasurer Marc Calhoun and Vice President Chris Adkins announced  plans for improving the Grove at Tuesday’s meeting.

The two senators presented an IMG_7929illustration of a new permanent stage that will be built in the Grove, an area where student groups and alumni gather before football games to tailgate.

The wooden stage will be about 28 by 30 feet and will cost around $30,000.

Calhoun announced that this will be paid off over 2 or 3 years and sponsorships will help pay for the stage.

SGA Advisor Laura Jennings said that funds raised from sponsorships will also go toward providing entertainment at tailgating events.

“Some of this money will go to bands or DJs for tailgating. This will take a little bit of burden off of student groups,” Jennings said.

Although the Grove is mainly used for tailgating now, SGA hopes the stage will allow more events in the future.

Jennings gave examples such as battle of the bands and step shows.

“This will open up the grove as a viable place for non-tailgating events,” said Jennings. “It’ll make it a lot easier to use the area, and I’m sure we will think up tons of uses for it.

SGA President Adrian LeJeune also sees the stage as a great opportunity.

“This is a relatively inexpensive way to bring another venue to the city, and it actually looks better than I pictured it,” Lejeune said.

Calhoun reported that SGA has stayed under budget all year, and the motion passed to progress the project.

The SGA also made postcards that said “No Funds, No Future,” and welcomed students to sign them during Spring Fever week.

The cards were another part of SGA’s  efforts towards the issue of budget cuts.

Students signed the cards to show their support for Louisiana higher education and to show they were against any further cuts to funding.

Clarence Nash, a senator for the college of business and social sciences, said it is a good way to express their concerns.

“We do care about the quality of education students get, we do care about the campus, and we certainly care about our future here at ULM,” Nash said.

Nash said the postcards will be sent to state representatives in Baton Rouge in hopes that the state will stop experiencing cuts on education.