Department introduces weather radar

A new building for the atmospheric science department is “on the radar” for ULM’s campus in the future.

Construction will finally begin after extensive talks between the administration of ULM and professors within the atmospheric science department.

The radar will add research and hands on opportunities within the department and improve the analysis of the area.

Coverage is currently supplied by the office in Shreveport, but the distance of the radar from  ULM’s view only provides limited cover.

The radar will aid in the coverage of Monroe and will provide a faster and more up to date picture of what the skies over Monroe look like at any given time.

Grant Garland said the radar will be a great addition to the city and will benefit the area in many ways.

“With the new radar set to be installed, meterologists will be able to make better forecasts for the area,” said Garland, a senior atmospheric science major.

However, the radar will not only allow a more clearer look at weather in the area.

“It will provide research opportunities for atmospheric science students to further their knowledge of our atmosphere,” said Stephen Kreller, a junior atmospheric science major.

The radar will possibly replace a current class taught on meteorological instruments to give students more hands on experience, something Garland said is needed.

“By having a semester long radar class, I feel like students are going to have a more instructive experience that will enable them to have a more solid knowledge base on the topic,” Garland said.

Garland said he believes the current “instruments class” given at ULM are great, but said there’s not enough time to spend learning each instrument.

“It really does not do it justice to try and cram it in a week of lecture,” Garland said.

Garland also said the new radar will set students apart in the workforce, but will also give them the chance to “perform research” well as they move into a graduate program.

The ground breaking ceremony for the new building is May 6th.