Wedding bells can ring for same-sex couples after ruling

Gay and lesbian couples rejoiced this summer after the Supreme Court ruled in their favor.

Crowds chanted how “love wins” outside the Supreme Court building as those celebrating waved their rainbow flags and signs.

The June 26 decision requires all 50 states to recognize same-sex marriage as a Constitutional right.

This legal battle stretches back decades in which same-sex marriage has  become increasingly accepted .

The ruling comes after years of efforts from activists, lawsuits and national organizations.

Chadwick Harrell, a junior communications major, said, “As a gay man, now I have the right to be treated as equal as anyone else.”

Harrell said the ruling is a positive change for the country and the gay community and a glance at his own future. He said he wants to marry one day.

After countless marches, rallies, and increasing public support, five Supreme Court justices handed same-sex couples the victory.

President Barack Obama previously refused to say he believed in gay marriage. Instead he said he believed in civil unions—leaving the big decision up to the states.

The gay community supported Obama when he ran in the 2008 presidential election. Once elected, he returned the favor.

Obama supported hiring gay aides, gay ambassadors and gay federal judges. He also welcomed the recent decision.

“I haven’t met anyone who has been married under the law,” said Catherine Schilling, a senior biology major.

She also said she believes in the potential for greater advancements for equality as the country has sought equality for a long time.

Though some states still resist, the ruling impacted couples nationwide.