Hawkeye POV: Veteran’s Day and Patriotism

President Woodrow Wilson established Veterans Day in 1919 when he proclaimed that Nov. 11 is a day for Americans to reflect and “be filled with lots of pride in the heroism of those who died in the coun­try’s service and with gratitude for the victory…” It was a day established not only to expose but to also pay homage to the men and women who have fought and continue to fight in our nation’s military.

This day has become a staple in American culture, a time when citizens thank people they know who have either been in or are now in one branch of the military. The question remains though: is one day sufficient to thank someone for years of fighting for our freedom? The red, white and blue pride that runs through our veins on Nov. 11 should be there 365 days a year, not just one day.

John Fitzgerald Kennedy said it best when he said, “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” This statement hits home in a way that will always remind us to be grateful and re­member not only the ones who have passed, but also the ones who live.

We must continually thank the men and women who put their lives on the line so we may sleep peacefully in our beds each night. Let the pride you feel and the gratitude you express on Nov. 11 carry throughout the year. The words “Thank you” are so easy to say, yet so easily forgotten and lost in the language jumble of ev­eryday life. Be the first to say it, and you won’t be the last. The Hawkeye would like to say “Thank you, to the men and women who serve this great country.”