Soccer soars through 2 of opening home stretch

The soccer team took the last two of their opening four-game home stretch. This brings the team’s record to 2-2.

vs McNeese State

Soccer fell 2-1 to McNeese State in the second of a four game home stretch to open up the season. The Warhawks outshot the Cowgirls 18-9 with a 9-3 advantage in shots-on-goal but McNeese state was able to pull out a win despite the barrage.

Dominating possession from the start, a header by sophomore Danielle LaFrance of the Warhawks in the ninth minute gave ULM the early lead. Senior Karlea Fehr set up the goal with a corner kick into the middle of the box allowing LaFrance to put one into the bottom-right corner of the net.

A one shot lead disappeared six minutes into the second half as Bettina Brulhart of the Cowgirls struck the ball from the penalty box straight over the keeper’s head and into the top center of the net.

Overtime loomed with only three minutes left in regulation when McNeese stole the game delevering a heartbreaker at the last minute. Gabi D’Alesandro of McNeese State tracked down a long punt from her keeper, which soared over the head of the ULM defender, and from the left side kicked a shot into the top right corner.

vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Soccer grabbed its first win of the season as the team faced off against the Golden lions Tuesday in the ULM Soccer Complex.

Continuing their domination of possession and shots on goal from their previous game the Warhawks met success as they took a 2-1 victory.

Abigail Kay struck first for the Golden Lions dropping in a shot from outside the penalty box in the sixth minute. Fighting back the Warhawks drew even on a penalty kick in the fourteenth minute. Sophomore Danielle LaFrance stepped up and drilled one past the keeper and into the lower right corner.

A beautiful assist deep into the box by senior Karlea Fehr in the 33 minute set up junior Kylie Kukowski for a header into the lower right corner of the net which alluded the keeper and became the game-winner.

The win marked the first of the season for freshman goal keeper Brooke-Lynn Scoggins.

vs Mississippi State

Notching two goals off corner kicks and a strike into the lower right corner of the net the Warhawks dominated the Devilettes of Mississippi Valley State 3-0 and improved to 5-2 all-time against them.

The Warhawks led 20-5 in shots and held an 11-1 edge in corner kicks.

Karlea Fehr struck first for the Warhawks curling a kick over the keeper’s head and under the cross bar.

Another corner kick led to another goal for Fehr as she powered one in through the center and across the line.

Mariah Mitchell capped off the Warhawks victory with  a strike into the lower right coner of the net.

The play was assisted by junior Mary Ashton Lembo who freed Mitchell up on a through ball to set her up for a run down the left side.

The Warhawks travel to Arkansas for their first road test of the season when they take on the  Bears of Central Arkansas on Aug. 30.