Soccer drops one game but ties other

Jeanette Slayter/ULM Photo Servi

Warhawks fend off Lions but fall to quick blow from axe of Lumberjacks

The Warhawks drew even against Southeastern Louisiana University but lost a close one against Stephen F. Austin.

Warhawks vs Lions

The Lions of SLU strode into the ULM Soccer Complex having won all of their contests against unranked teams.

The only loss on their record sheet was to Florida State, which is the #1 ranked team in the country.

Not rankled by any of this the Warhawks clawed their way back from two separate half deficits to earn a 2-2 result in double overtime last Sunday.

The tie extends ULM’s unbeaten streak at home to four games including three wins.

“I am very proud with how the team has performed under the pressure of being down and getting a result in both games”, Mazza said.

SLU quickly took the lead striking it in from the box on a cross from the right side in the 13 thminute.

Each team delivered five shots in the period but the Lion’s lone goal remained the only score on the scoreboard.

Entering the second period the Warhawks took no time in finding the equalizer. The goal came in the 57th minute on great passing as junior Mary Ashton Lembo set up junior Whitney Tuckfield down the right side. Tuckfield found senior Mariah Mitchell at the center of the box on a perfect pass and Mitchell sent it to the back of the net.

The goal marks her team-high third of the year and ninth of her career.

The Lions delivered the counter-punch in the 65th minute retaking the lead on a breakaway run, which saw the ball struck into the right corner of the net.

Facing their second deficit of the game with time slowly winding down the Warhawks found the answer in the 78th minute.

On a corner kick, Lembo hung one over the keeper’s head and into the far top corner of the net.

Two overtimes saw the teams unable to deliver the game winner and the match ended in a 2-2 draw.

Warhawks vs Lumberjacks

After six consecutive losses in Nacogdoches, and following a difficult 3-2 loss last season at home, ULM was eager to take a win against SFA Friday.

A team high five shots on goal by senior Karlea Fehr was not enough to propel the Warhawks to victory though as Stephen F. Austin won a close one under the lights at the SFA Soccer Field.

Despite entering the game with a 0-5 record the Lumberjacks were picked to win the Southland Conference in the SLC preseason polls, and have done so the previous four seasons.

The game began with a quick SFA score within the first five minutes off of a rebound off the keeper. Rachel Owens of the Lumberjacks took the opportunity to kick one in off a keeper punch out within six yards of the net.

SFA would outshoot ULM 6-3 in the first half but the score would remain a 1-0 deficit for the Warhawks.

Shooting picked up slightly for both teams in the second half but few real opportunities for goals were presented. SFA had a slight 7-6 edge in shots.

Despite the loss coach Mazza took a positive outcome on the game and feels confident going forward.

“I liked the fact that we were very organized from front to back. We did a great job of getting stuck in and we didn’t give them any big opportunities to stretch the lead,” Mazza said.

The Warhawks will face Southern Miss in a home game Friday.