Warhawks dominate over Mean Green, 49-37, in Sun Belt matchup

MALONE STADIUM – The ULM Warhawks (5-6, 4-3 SBC) dominated over the Mean Green of North Texas (3-8, 3-5 SBC) by a score of 49-37. Having a very strong game is Warhawks running back Frank Goodin, who passed Joe Profit in career rushing yards during the second quarter.

First on the scoreboard was UNT, with a field goal made by kicker Zach Olen of 22 yards. Next on the scoreboard was Olen again, with a 23-yard field goal tacked on with 58 seconds left in the first quarter. The Warhawks would score by the close of the first quarter, with a 48-yard pass from freshman quarterback Kolton Browning to Je’Ron Hamm to score with no time left on the clock. Radi Jabour sailed the extra point through for a 7-6 ULM lead.

Special teams and rushing dominated the second quarter, with Brelan Chancellor gaining 123 yards and a touchdown on kickoff returns (one was for 91 yards) for North Texas. ULM’s Jyruss Edwards returned kickoffs for a total of 111 yards, the longest being 54 yards.  With the start of the 2nd quarter, North Texas got off to a strong start, with running back Lance Dunbar rushing the ball for 83 yards, putting North Texas up 13-7, only 17 seconds into the quarter.

ULM then scored on a Goodin run through the middle for a touchdown, putting ULM up 21-13. However, Browning would throw another touchdown, putting ULM up by 8 points. North Texas then scored on a 91-yard kickoff return all the way to the end zone, cutting the score 21-20 in favor of the Warhawks. North Texas would then score on a pass from Riley to Jamaal Jackson, making the score 27-21 in favor of the Mean Green.

To start off the third quarter, ULM had a productive drive down the field, culminating in a 8-yard pass from Browning to put the Warhawks up 28-27. The 3rd quarter consisted of four punts and a fumble, so not much happened, other than lots of back and forth. The Warhawks came back out and scored another touchdown, with a 53-yard pass from Kolton Browning to Luther Ambrose. The added extra point made the score 42-30, with 7:58 left in the 4th quarter.

The Mean Green then scored with another touchdown, making the score 42-37. The Warhawks came back with a drive down the field to score another touchdown, making the lead 49-37, which would be the final score of the game. With a Troy loss and Arkansas State losing later tonight, and Florida International losing tonight against UL-Lafayette, the Warhawks would move into second place in the Sun Belt.