Early soccer header sends Warhawks past Eagles

After four consecutive defeats at the hands of the Southern Miss Eagles a header in the early going finally put the Warhawks over the top.

The Warhawks extended their unbeaten streak at home to six games and moved to (5-4-1) on the season.

In the fourteenth minute Kelley O’Dwyer won possession of the ball in the middle of the field and then found Mariah Mitchel racing down the left sideline.

Mitchell crossed it over into the middle of the box where sophomore Danielle Sabathe struck it on a header into the lower left corner of the net.

The goal marked the first of the season for Sabathe and the second of her collegiate career. O’Dweyer moved into second all-time in assists at ULM with fourteen.

The Lady Eagles put in six shots on goal during the game including one in the second half that struck the top bar of the goal, but the Warhawks were able to preserve the shutout.

It marks the third of the season including previous blanket wins over Mississippi State and Grambling State.

The Warhawks held a 15-14 edge in shots and 9-6 lead in shots on goal throughout the game.

An advantage of 6-2 was also held in corners as the team continues to dominate in the category leading opponents 69-37 through their first 10 games.

Senior karlea Fehr registered a team high three shots on goal during the game.

Goalie freshman Brooke-Lynn Scoggins secured her second win after earning the start.

Freshman julia Idalis Gonzales came in during the first half and made four saves over 67 minutes.

Coach Mazza was pleased with the win and the improvement his team’s showed.

“The most important thing I enjoyed was the “W” over a Conference USA school. We’re playing much better soccer and results come. It’s been exciting and our team’s really confident right now,” Mazza said.

The Warhawks begin conference play Friday traveling to Georgia State to take on the Panthers.