Students don professional apparel in fashion show

Emerald Harris/ULM Photo Service
ULM students walk the runway modeling business clothing for seven different business events in the Career Connections’ Style Show. Photos by Emerald Harris/ULM Photo Services

Students in the audience yelled, beat the runway and even picked up chairs over their heads, as the judges for the 2015 Career Style Show announced the top five.

With the career fair just around the corner, students need to know what is appropriate to wear when meeting a potential employer.

Those in attendance learned the importance of professionalism and business etiquette.

Andre Brown walks the runway modeling business clothing for seven different business events in the Career Connections' Style Show. Photos by Emerald Harris/ULM Photo Services
Andre Brown walks the runway modeling business clothing for seven different business events in the Career Connections’ Style Show. Photos by Emerald Harris/ULM Photo Services

“Being professionally dressed for an interview or career fair portrays a positive image of yourself to the potential employer,” said Roslynn Pogue, the Director of the Office of Career Connections. “The first impression is the last impression.”

Students modeled what to wear and what not to wear for a career fair, interview, business lunch/dinner, sporting/charity event, conference/convention and banquet formal.

Camille Reffett, a junior nursing major, said, “It was a really good reminder that the way you dress and present yourself can play a big part in the opportunities you receive.”

Spencer Perkins modeled formal banquet wear and made the top five for men.

“Some outfits can be deemed too formal for certain events that only require business casual. The same principle applies when wearing something that is not formal enough to an interview or banquet,” said Perkins, junior risk managing major.

The models showed off their personalities during the “fun walk.”

For their last walk, they used their favorite props including light sabers, wands, capes and sunglasses.

Audience members also participated by answering business etiquette questions after each category. Several students had to dance before answering their questions.

Judges picked winners by determining who had the “loudest cheers.” First place winners for the men and women were Samrat Dhakal and Kelbie McCauley.

Fieldhouse, Maurice’s, Bath and Body Works, Dillard’s, Men’s Wearhouse and Victoria’s Secret all contributed prizes to the winners.