Counselor says students benefit from starting now

Traci Clark said she didn’t expect “the procrastinators” to arrive on time to the “Overcoming Procrastination” workshop in the Student Center Thursday.

Clark quizzed students and asked them to give reasons for why they procrastinate.

“I scored the best for unassertiveness,” said Victoria Sims, a pre-nursing major. “I often agree to do the things I don’t really want to do, that’s how I manage to complete my homework.”

Sims said she doesn’t fear failure and would rather do something than “not try and fail.”

However, Clark said there are some called “decisional procrastinators” who  are worried about making wrong choices.

“Beacuse indecisive people avoid making decisions, their decision making muscle fatigues easily,” Clark said.

Manisha Adhikari said it’s easy for her to give up when she approaches something she thinks is too big for her.

“I avoid tasks because I’m afraid I might do a bad job,” said Adhikari, a biology major.

Adhikari said she overthinks a task and makes something out to be harder than it is.

Clark said regulating our emotions is a big part of dealing with procrastination. She said in order to cope with our stress, emotions must be kept in check.

“For procrastinators, self-regulation is hard. They have difficulty delaying pleasure and working on demanding tasks.

Research has shown that optimally one should finish the hard, frustrating projects first then move on to less demanding or easier tasks.

“Even perfectionists procrastinate,” said Clark. “It’s a deadly combination. They are motivated by a desire to belong and be liked by others.”