Fraternity informs students of drunk driving dangers

The saying, “It’s harder than it looks” proved to be true for Jasmine Gusman, as she tried to weave her way through the cones with blurred vision.

“You might think you’re good, but you’re not good,” said Gusman, a sophomore social work major.

Gusman participated in Alpha Phi Alpha’s “Drunk Driving Awareness” event on Thursday in the quad.

Students put on beer goggles and took turns walking around a taped route on the ground.

“It’s to give a safe way to show the dangers of driving intoxicated,” said Andre’ Phillips, a junior pre-pharmacy and toxicology major.

Phillips said his fraternity felt the need to address this subject hands-on since it was homecoming week.

“There’s a lot of people who drink at the tailgate and this is a reminder for people to be smart,” Phillips said.

Gusman said this subject is personal  for her and that she appreciates the fraternity taking the time to inform her peers.

“I know somebody who had a wreck because a drunk driver hit them,” Gusman said.

Gusman said that person should have had a designated driver because “he caused my friend to get in an accident and be injured.”

Gusman called it an “eye-opener” because it helped her recognize the dangers of alcohol.

Phillips said his fraternity hopes to open the eyes of other students like Gusman by continuing to educate and inform the campus community.

“Anything that is an issue in the community that people are unaware or uneducated about is what we try to highlight so we can inform the student body,” Phillips said.

Phillips’ fraternity has recently discussed animal abuse, child abuse epilepsy and caridac arrest. He said the next subject will be suicide awareness.

Meanwhile, Gusman said she has learned her lesson through her friend’s experience.

“It’s real. It happens. You just hear about it but when you experience it personally it opens your eyes and causes you to take it more seriously,” Gusman said.