Volleyball dishes out win before 1st conference loss

Josh Dean’s Perspective:

VS. Jackson State

The volleyball squad extended its unbeaten streak to six after a decisive win over the Tigers of Jackson State.

The win streak is the longest the team has strung together since 2005.

ULM’s offensive firepower proved too much for Jackson State as the Warhawks won (25-11, 25-21, 25-21).

Two-time 2015 Warhawk of the Week Hope Pawlik led the charge with eight kills during the match.

Behind the service of junior Taylor Zaeske the Warhawks took a commanding 18-7 lead in the first set.

The offensive barrage continued and ULM closed out the first set on a 7-4 run.

The Warhawks and Tigers traded points to begin the second before a kill by Sarah Woods gave ULM a lead which they never looked back from.

Multiple Warhawks got in on the action to eventually close out the set 25-21 for ULM.

Kills by Kalena Caruthers ignited the Warhawks in the third giving them an early 12-9 lead.

The Tigers eventually brought the score even at 18, but the Warhawks went on a seven to three to close out the match.

John Stevens’ Perspective:

VS. Appalachian State

The Warhawks lost their first Sun Belt Conference match Friday as the Appalachian State Mountaineers defeated them in three straight sets.

Junior Hope Pawlik led the Warhawks with 10 kills, however it proved not enough as Appalachian State had a team combined 45 kills.

The Warhawks defense seemed to have a hard time stopping the high powered offense of Appalachian State.

Coach Patrick Hiltz wasn’t pleased with the defensive effort.

“We weren’t able to take them out of anything they were trying to do offensively,” Hiltz said.

Appalachian State came out strong in the first set winning (25-18).

The second set looked to be different as the Warhawks had the lead 19 to 18 following a Hadley Swartz kill, however Appalachian State came back and took the set (25-20).

In the final set the Lady Mountaineers showed no quit and won the set and match (25-12).

The Warhawks look to bounce back from their first conference loss as they take on their in-state rival ULL, Wednesday in Fant-Ewing Coliseum.