Library embraces young adults

Public library offers programs geared towards college students

College is often seen as the final step before adulthood, however for all the classes you can take at college, “how to adult” isn’t one.

Luckily the Ouachita Parish Public Library’s Main Branch is picking up the slack, with its new set of programs for 20-somethings; that aims to offer both fun and educational programs geared towards people out of high school, according to the Main Branch’s Young Adult Associate, Clair Calhoun.

And fun was the center of the first program, a table top game night social that allows young adults to take a break, relax, and maybe make a new friend or two while playing games from Uno to Magic: the Gathering and everything in-between.

Robert “Spencer” Stewart, a junior computer science major, said he found the game night “a short but fun getaway from classes and work.” Stewart recommends the program to anyone who enjoys tabletop games of all sorts.

The game night is part of a group of social events that the library is hosting as part of its 20-something programs. Later this month there’ll be a Goonies movie night, as well as another game night, and in the next few months an LGBT book club will be set up.

However, these fun social events are only some of what the program is offering. There’s also the “Adulting” programs, which aim to teach young adults skills that are needed, but aren’t exactly taught in the classroom.

These programs will be especially helpful to students of all sorts. From cooking to couponing to basic home repair, there’s something useful to be learned for everyone.

Junior health studies major, Hien Nguyen, found the cooking program she attended useful and motivated her to start learning.

“We all have to be independent some day,” Hguyen said, “Why not start now?”

Bored on a Friday night with nothing to do? The public library may have just what you and your friends had in mind for a fun night out.